Registration Fee: $195 (Early bird $175 ends Aug 10) includes all tuition, notes, use of tools and materials, morning and afternoon teas and a delicious lunch both days. Free camping on site for Saturday night. Please bring work gloves, sun hat, and wear practical work clothing and boots.
Numbers limited – register now to reserve your place.
You will learn…
• Tips on clump management for running and clumping bamboos
• What time of year to harvest and how to select suitable culms
• Harvest techniques, tools and safety
• Post harvest curing and de-branching
• Ways to treat bamboo against powder borer beetle: infusion and transpiration methods
• What tools you need for harvesting and crafting, and how to use them
• Essential techniques for splitting, cutting, lashing and joinery
• Build a simple structure to learn through hands-on action
• Simple whittling – make some bamboo spatulas and utensils to take home
Djanbung Gardens has an impressive collection of established bamboo clumps and practical examples of creative ways to use this abundant and beautiful resource.This coupled with an inspiring collection of bamboo tools from around the world makes Djanbung Gardens the ideal location to dive into the essential knowledge and skills to work with this magical plant.
Trainer: Robyn Francis, permaculture teacher and designer, has been growing bamboo on her property, Djanbung Gardens for the past 20 years and gleaned techniques for using this amazing material from some of Australia’s leading bamboo experts and her permaculture work in the bamboo cultures of Asia and Latin America. Robyn has been conducting an annual bamboo basics workshops at Djanbung Gardens for the past 12 years.
Read Robyn Francis’ article about Bamboo