General Permaculture Residential Training and Volunteers
What you will do:
• Care for the gardens, planting seasonal crops, watering, making compost & compost teas, weeding, bed preparation, seed saving and general garden maintenance
• Care for the animals: chickens, ducks and geese. These need tending at least twice a day, every day.
• Maintain the grounds, mowing when necessary. Maintain and clean the main building, toilets and public areas for visitors.
• Participate in seasonal bamboo management, harvest, treating, processing and storing
• Greet visitors to the gardens, provide information and direct them on self-guide tours
• Help with community events hosted at Djanbung such as the Repair Café.
• Be involved in the on-going creativity making the new intern and volunteer living facilities on LandsEnd.
What we offer:
An opportunity to gain valuable real-life experience and on-the-job-training, living and working on a well established world-renowned permaculture property. You will have access to PCA training resources, library, electricity for charging devices and Wi-fi at the main building.
Accommodation – camping on LandsEnd (option to have a bed in workshop area). Living facilities on LandsEnd are basic and offer an opportunity to experience off-grid solar and low-tech living with basic solar lighting & energy, solar oven, T-lud stove, gas cooker, zeer pot cooler, compost toilet and bush shower. Pots, pans, plates and cutlery provided. At the main building you will have access to a fridge and mains electricity.
You will be responsible for your own food and cooking. Garden surplus will be shared.
We are an easy 10 minute walk from the heart of the village – local supermarket, food co-op, bakery, farmers market, cafes, health and other village services, businesses and community activities.
Applicants for longer term stays will need to
• Have some previous training in permaculture (e.g. PDC)
• Preferably have previous experience with gardening and small livestock
• Be reliable and consistent, motivated to do your best and take pride in your work
• Willing to learn and follow instructions when inducted into the systems here
• Be respectful and helpful to people living and working on site and to visitors.
• Be resourceful and passionate about experiencing low impact living and experimenting with simple technologies
• Capable of working independently and in a team
• Be responsible for small projects and supervise casual volunteers
• Work safely and observe workplace health and safety practices
• Have the self-discipline to get up early for morning chores and feeding the animals
• Have good English language skills
Applications: please send an email with information about your self to include age, sex, nationality, English proficiency, permaculture training, other qualifications, experience, skills and interests.
You may be asked to do an interview via Skype or in person at the gardens.
Internship work schedule
Work days are Tuesday-Friday, generally 4-6 hours per day, plus one weekend day per fortnight. Mondays & free weekend days you will still contribute to the rostered daily routine chores of feeding the animals and watering the gardens. Average time commitment is 20+hrs per week. Some special workshops and workplace training sessions might occur on weekend days and/or Mondays
You need to bring: sensible work clothing and long-sleeve shirt, closed shoes or work boots, sun hat, wet-weather gear, a torch, your own bedding and tent, towel and toiletries (only natural products please). You are also welcome bring your own tools such as secateurs, gardening/work gloves and musical instruments. We provide you with essential personal protective equipment for specific jobs. We do not permit pets on site.
Long Term Internships
“Four of the months in Australia we have been living as interns at Djanbung Gardens, the Permaculture College Australia. We have learnt so much at this amazing place and meet heaps of inspiring and crazy people here. We have worked in the gardens, taken care of the animals, building bamboo structures helped setting up wonderful events and also attending heaps of courses.” – Pung (Sweden)
LONG TERM INTERNSHIPS 3-12 months These are available by special application to interns who have already completed a minimum of 5 weeks General PP internship or completed a specialist internship at Djanbung Gardens. Long term Interns participate in all aspects of Djanbung Gardens and PCA, and be responsible for supervising volunteers in the gardens, coordinate rosters, conduct garden tours, develop management skills working with the management team and support the organisation of training programs, workshops and special events at Djanbung Gardens.
Do you have specialist skills to offer? Talk to us if you have skills in photography, video & film editing, marketing & promotion, data base & IT, writing & editing, or in a specific trade such as building. Special Skills Internships are individually negotiated. Send us your CV and let’s start talking…