Registration Fee: includes all tuition, notes, use of tools and materials, morning and afternoon teas and a delicious lunch both days.
Free camping on site for Saturday night.
Please bring work gloves, sun hat, and wear practical work clothing and boots.
Numbers limited – register now to reserve your place.
• Special 10% Discount for members of Permaculture Australia, use the Supporters discount code for Permaculture College -Djanbung Gardens
You will learn…
• Tips on clump management for running and clumping bamboos
• What time of year to harvest and how to select suitable culms
• Harvest techniques, tools and safety
• Post harvest curing and de-branching
• Ways to treat bamboo against powder borer beetle: infusion and transpiration methods
• What tools you need for harvesting and crafting, and how to use them
• Essential techniques for splitting, cutting, lashing and joinery
• Build a simple structure to learn through hands-on action
• Learn to make a hexagonal weave and simple screens
• Basic whittling – make some bamboo spatulas and utensils to take home
Djanbung Gardens has an impressive collection of established bamboo clumps and practical examples of creative ways to use this abundant and beautiful resource.This coupled with an inspiring collection of bamboo tools from around the world makes Djanbung Gardens the ideal location to dive into the essential knowledge and skills to work with this magical plant.
Julianne Hartmann has been involved in the bamboo industry for over 25 years. Her key areas of expertise are plantation establishment and maintenance for shoots or timber, including propagation, nursery skills, harvest and curing of bamboos, and bamboo crafting. Julianne, with her late husband Rob Swain, worked extensively in East Timor developing on local bamboo skills and materials to empower people with new techniques and designs for housing, village development, furniture making and for cultivating and treating bamboo.She was a contributing author to the Bamboo chapter of the Tropical Permaculture Guidebook.
Robyn Francis, permaculture teacher and designer, has been growing bamboo on her property, Djanbung Gardens for the past 20+ years and gleaned techniques for using this amazing material from some of Australia’s leading bamboo experts and her permaculture work in the bamboo cultures of Asia and Latin America. Robyn has been facililtating an annual bamboo workshop at Djanbung Gardens for the past 12 years.
Read Robyn Francis’ article about Bamboo
Gallery of past Bamboo workshops at Djanbung Gardens