What you’ll be doing:
Bamboo: it’s the start of our annual bamboo harvest time and you’ll be learning how to:
• Harvest, which culms to select, when to use different treatments against powder borer beetle, plus preparing and curing for storage and use
• Work with a range of different types of clumping and running bamboo varieties, from very large giant bamboos to small crafting species
• Manage bamboo stands – both running and clumping varieties
• Use of traditional hand tools and power tools, plus Workplace Health and Safety for working with bamboo
• create different types of structures including fences, arbours & trellises to master classic bamboo building techniques
• use a range of crafting techniques including making brush-rolls & screens, weaving and whittling
Gardening: We’ll be taking a few breaks from bamboo to have some fun in the gardens harvesting and mulching, making creative bamboo trellises ready for spring planting
Biochar: making, processing and activating biochar from our bamboo waste
What you need to bring:
• Practical work clothes, long sleeved shirts, long pants (jeans. work pants), sturdy boot, sun hat and work gloves, wet weather gear (just in case).
• Please bring masks if you have them (dust masks can be in short supply, however quality cloth masks are also fine to use – bamboo dust contains silica which can cause lung damage). Also hi-vis jacket can be handy if you have one
• Suitable tools if you have them, such as bamboo saws, splitting and whittling knives, tape measurer, rechargeable power tools
• Your own tent and bedding (we do have some ground mats for use)
• Natural personal hygiene products
• Music instruments for evening campfire entertainment.
Facilities & Conditions
The BootCamp hub is the artisan barn on LandsEnd (a separate part of Djanbung). The barn has a camp kitchen and social area, rainwater tank, solar lighting, bush showers, compost loo and grassy meadow for camping.
Food: Food is supplied for communal cooking in the camp kitchen plus some meals will be catered at the main building.
The LandsEnd camp kitchen has a gas cooker, solar cooker and T-lud stove, crockery, pots, pans, zeerpot cooler plus use of a fridge at the main building.
Permaculture College Resources: The main building has wi-fi, mains power for charging devices, a fridge to store food, communal tea making facilities and you will have access to our classroom, extensive reference library and other public resources.